Industrial Ethernet Cables
Houston Wire & Cable Company stocks a full line of Belden DataTuff Industrial Ethernet products. Whether your application requires flexibility, outdoor use, exposure to high or low temperatures, gasoline, oil, sunlight, abrasion or crushing - HWC has the solution.
When to use Industrial Ethernet
Industrial plants rely heavily on their automation,instrumentation and control data communications to relay signals between devices, machinery and the control system to activate events on an exacting and pre-determined schedule, with little or no margin for error. Many industrial facilities are sizeable and their networking products must meet or exceed stringent industrial regulations and ratings. Users also desire optimal manageability and security so that network availability attains 99.999% uptime or better.
Networking safety, uptime and control should be key factors in selecting networking cabling. 'Industry' is a broad term encompassing a multitude of diverse operations - from discrete manufacturing of every kind, to processing of foods and beverages, pulp and paper, chemicals, oil/gas and petrochemicals, to commercial and government sites such as power generation plants, wind energy farms, water and wastewater treatment facilities, airports and transportation hubs, military bases, ships and shipyards, rail yards, tunnels, dams and bridges.
Ethernet equipment and cabling often must withstand the following environmental conditions:
- Temperature Extremes. Extreme cold can make COTS cables stiff and brittle, while elevated temperatures can degrade the plastic used in the cables' construction and cause an increase in attenuation. Industrial-grade cables are available that will operate in a wider temperature range (-40°C to +85°C) than commercial cables (0°C to +60°C). Commercial-grade hardware (i.e. switches, routers, terminal servers) is designed to operate from 0°C to +40°C, while industrial Ethernet hardware can operate efficiently from 0°C to +60°C — extendable to -40°C to +85°C (conformal coating also available for humid/moist applications).
- Chemical Exposure. Oils, solvents, chemicals and cleaning solutions can soak into COTS cables, especially under heat, causing the cable jacket to swell and lose mechanical strength. On the hardware side, corrosive chemicals can damage the electronics in commercial switches, whereas ruggedized industrial switches are securely sealed to prevent ingress of these substances.
- Humidity Levels of up to 99 percent can be accommodated by industrial-grade switches, which can also be sealed to meet IP67 standards.
- UV Radiation Exposure can cause COTS cable jackets to decompose at an accelerated rate, compromising mechanical strength and electrical performance.
- Physical Hazards. The factory floor holds many mechanical risks, especially for machine automation cables and connectors. Excessive machine movement or vibration can result in cables being pulled or stretched with excessive force, which can create imbalance between the pairs, degrade electrical performance, and increase susceptibility to ambient EMI/RFI. Plant floor vehicles, such as forklifts and moving carts, can accidentally run over cables, causing abrasion, crushing or cut-through.
Even well-made, properly installed Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) Ethernet systems are not constructed to survive these kinds of hazards. Only hardened, industrial-grade components are robust enough to withstand the environmental challenges present every day in industrial settings. For mission critical industrial networking and control applications, downtime is not an option.
Available Features and Benefits
- Unshielded and shielded cables
- Solid or stranded conductors
- Plenum or non-plenum
- Bonded-Pair technology options
- Polyolefin or FEP insulation
- PVC, Polyethylene, FEP, or TPE jackets
- Heavy, Upjacketed, and Aluminum Armored
- Halogen-free and Low Smoke Zero Halogen constructions
- Burial or outdoor use, gasoline resistance, high and low temperatures
- Weldspatter resistance
- Field proven performance in presence of EMI/RFI
- RoHS approved
- Select cables are EtherNet/IP Compliant and/or MSHA approved
Applying Industrial Ethernet to your infrastructure in a way that fits your application, including utilizing wireless appropriately, can truly transform your facility and provide unanticipated benefits.
Category 6 DataTuff Cables, Bonded Pair Technology, 4-Pair, Heavy-Duty Sunlight and Oil-Resistant Jackets (excluding 7931A: Sunlight-, Oil-, and Gas-resistant)
- 7927A 23 AWG Solid BC, Patented E-Spline Center Member
- 11872A 23 AWG Solid BC, Upjacketed
- 121872A 23 AWG Solid BC, Interlocked AL Armor, Polyester Wrap, Upjacketed
- 7940A 23 AWG Solid BC, Internal Tape Separator, EtherNet/IP Compliant
- 7931A 23 AWG Solid BC, High & Low Temp, Plenum-rated, Oil Res I & II
- 7953A 23 AWG Solid BC, Foil Shield, Upjacketed, EtherNet/IP Compliant
Category 5e DataTuff Twisted Pair Cables, 4-Pair, Heavy-Duty Sunlight and Oil-Resistant Jackets (excluding 7938A: Sunlight-, Oil-, and Weldsplatter-resistant; 7936A: Sunlight-resistant only)
- 7922A 22 AWG 4-Pair Solid BC, Rip Cord, PLTC-rated, Bonded Pairs
- 7924A 24 AWG 4-Pair Stranded TC (7x32), Bonded Pairs
- 11700A2 24 AWG 4-Pair Solid BC, Bonded Pairs, Upjacketed, Oil Res I & II
- 121700A 24 AWG 4-Pair Solid BC, Bonded Pairs, AL Interlocked Armor, Polyester Wrap, Rip Cord
- 121700R 24 AWG 4-Pair Solid BC, Bonded Pairs, AL Interlocked Armor, Polyester Wrap
- 7929A 24 AWG 4-Pair Solid BC, Bonded Pairs, Overall Beldfoil Shield, 24 AWG Stranded TC Drain Wire, MSHA Approved
- 7936A 24 AWG 4-Pair Solid BC, Bonded Pairs, Overall Beldfoil Shield, 24 AWG Stranded TC Drain Wire, Low Smoke Zero Halogen Jacket
- 7937A 24 AWG 4-Pair Solid BC, Bonded Pairs, Overall Beldfoil Shield, 24 AWG TC Drain Wire, Halogen-Free, Waterblocked Burial
- 7930A 24 AWG 4-Pair Stranded BC (7x32)
- 7939A 24 AWG 4-Pair Stranded BC (7x32), Bonded Pairs, Overall Beldfoil Shield, 24 AWG Stranded TC Drain Wire
- 7918A 24 AWG 4-Pair Solid BC, Rip Cord, MSHA Approved
- 7919A 24 AWG 4-Pair Solid BC, Overall Beldfoil Shield, 24 AWG TC Drain Wire, MSHA Approved
- 7938A 24AWG 4-Pair Stranded Cu Alloy (7x32), Overall Beldfoil Shield + 85% TC Braid & Drain Wire, Upjacketed, Continuous Flex Rated
Ethernet/IP Compliant Category 5e DataTuff Cables, Bonded-Pair Technology, 2- and 4-Pairs, Heavy-Duty Sunlight and Oil-Resistant Jackets (excluding 7935A: Sunlight-Resistant; 7928A: Sunlight-, Oil-, and Gas-Resistant)
- 7932A 24 AWG 2-Pair Solid BC, Rip Cord
- 7933A 24 AWG 2-Pair Solid BC, Overall Beldfoil Shield
- 7923A 24 AWG 4-Pair Solid BC, Rip Cord, MSHA Approved
- 7934A 24 AWG 4-Pair Solid BC, Rip Cord, Halogen Free, Waterblocked Burial
- 7935A 24 AWG 4-Pair Solid BC, Rip Cord, Low Smoke Zero Halogen Jacket
- 11700A 24 AWG 4-Pair Solid BC, Rip Cord, Upjacketed, MHSA Approved
- 7921A 24 AWG 4-Pair Solid BC, Overall Beldfoil + 70% TC Braid Shield, 24 AWG Solid Spiral Drain Wire
- 7928A 24 AWG 4-Pair Solid BC, FEP Insulation and Jacket, High & Low Temp, Oil Res I & II
- 7957A 24 AWG 4-Pair Solid BC, Overall Beldfoil + 70% TC Braid Shield, 24 AWG Solid Spiral Drain Wire, 600V AWM Rated
- 7958A 24 AWG 4-Pair Solid BC, Overall Beldfoil Shield, 24 AWG Stranded TC Drain Wire, MSHA Approved, 600V AWM Rated
DataTuff® Industrial Ethernet Ruggedized Plug Kit T568B Cat 6 UTP/STP IP20
- R301602 000S1 Universal RJ45 Connector